SDG 5 Training for Parliamentarians and Global Changemakers
No country has yet achieved full gender equality.
Join the movement to make a difference in your country.
2020 marks the start of the UN Decade for Action! 2020 is also a landmark year to commemorate commitments to gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls, and to take stock: 25 years since the Beijing Platform for Action and the Millennium Declaration; 20 years since UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security; 10 years since the creation of UN Women and the launch of the Women’s Empowerment Principles; and five years since all 193 UN member states committed to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), including SDG 5 on gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls.
Yet in 2020 no country has yet achieved full gender equality in practice. Progress is way too slow! Join our campaign for change.
Only eight countries have legislated full gender equality. Time for change to benefit not only women and girls, but also everyone, everywhere.
Proceed to Leadership
40% of the successful responses to COVID-19 came from just 7% of world leaders — women! Why are there still so few women in positions of power and influence? See how you can help create a “diversity dividend.”
- 1. Review your country’s progress on women’s participation in government at the IPU and your company’s representation of women in executive positions at the Corporate Women’s Director International report.
- 2. Explore data on gender quotas and whether or not your country has them at IDEA.
- 3. Advocate for a gender-sensitive workplace by encouraging businesses to commit to the Women Empowerment Principles.
- 4. Commit to be a mentor, sponsor and/or guide for a woman in your life.
Proceed to Women, Peace and Security
Women, Peace and Security
One hundred years ago only 5% of deaths in conflicts were civilian — now it is close to 90%! UN Security Council Resolution 1325 on Women, Peace and Security was unanimously passed in 2000, and was the first resolution to address the impact of conflict on women and the importance of women to peace and security. What does it mean for you and your country?
- 1. Review your country’s progress at the Georgetown Institute for Women, Peace, and Security.
- 2. Review UNSCR 1325 and ensure that your country has a Women, Peace and Security national action plan in place to implement the resolution at Peace Women.
- 3. Help your country budget for practical implementation of this plan at Peace Women.
- 4. Put that plan into action.
Proceed to Violence Against Women and Girls
Violence Against Women and Girls
Violence against women and girls is unfortunately widespread in every region of the world. Chances are, either you or someone you know is a victim. Help change that!
- 1. Encourage your country to pass strong legislation that tackles all facets of violence against women. Explore laws that other countries have committed to at UN Women.
- 2. Ensure that your country has ratified the ILO Convention 190.
- 3. Join the #NotInMyParliament initiative to combat violence against women in your workplace.
- 4. Use your parliamentary oversight function to ensure that there is adequate funding for resources alleviating violence against women.
- 5. Review the civil societies and public authorities that are working on violence against women. Explore some of the civil societies that worked with the UN Women and Secretary General.
About the initiative
For the first time in history — and her-story — we have a global development agenda for 2015-2030, agreed upon unanimously by all 193 UN member countries. Parliamentarians and citizens have a key role to play in implementing the UN Sustainable Development Goals that comprise that agenda. The Arizona State University Global Futures Laboratory is thrilled to partner with so many wonderful organizations in a collaborative SDG 17 multi-stakeholder initiative to promote SDG 5.
We all win when we work together to promote gender equality and the empowerment of women and girls, for the benefit of everyone, everywhere. Join us!